Monday, August 21, 2006

More Faux Christianity...

Another presumably Christian Church-

Sunday school teacher dumped for being female

WATERTOWN, New York (AP) -- The minister of a church that dismissed a female Sunday School teacher after adopting what it called a literal interpretation of the Bible says a woman can perform any job -- outside of the church.


The minister of this church has it flat wrong- not just ethically, but even on the facts. Anyone who would read Paul's epistles would read of him discussing women who taught with him.

Take for example, Romans 16: 1-16 (quoted below) in which Paul mentions many women who have aided him in spreading the Gospel.
1 I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant of the church in Cenchrea. 2 I ask you to receive her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints and to give her any help she may need from you, for she has been a great help to many people, including me. 3 Greet Priscilla and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus. 4 They risked their lives for me. Not only I but all the churches of the Gentiles are grateful to them. 5 Greet also the church that meets at their house. Greet my dear friend Epenetus, who was the first convert to Christ in the province of Asia. 6 Greet Mary, who worked very hard for you. 7 Greet Andronicus and Junias, my relatives who have been in prison with me. They are outstanding among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was. 8 Greet Ampliatus, whom I love in the Lord. 9 Greet Urbanus, our fellow worker in Christ, and my dear friend Stachys. 10 Greet Apelles, tested and approved in Christ. Greet those who belong to the household of Aristobulus. 11 Greet Herodion, my relative. Greet those in the household of Narcissus who are in the Lord. 12 Greet Tryphena and Tryphosa, those women who work hard in the Lord. Greet my dear friend Persis, another woman who has worked very hard in the Lord. 13 Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord, and his mother, who has been a mother to me, too. 14 Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas and the brothers with them. 15 Greet Philologus, Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas and all the saints with them. 16 Greet one another with a holy kiss. All the churches of Christ send greetings.

Also Phillipians 4:3, in which Paul writes:
3 Yes, and I ask you, loyal yokefellow, help these women who have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.

Many scholars believe that the portions of Paul's epistles that call for women to be silent in church (specifically 1 Cor. 14:34-35, and 1 Tim. 2:9-15) were added to those epistles later- after Paul- to deal with controversys within churches. In fact, both of the readings tend to look 'tacked on' to the chapters in which they were found, not seeming to be in proper context.

Regardless, the record is clearly mixed, and it seems impossible to reconcile the 'keep women silent' statements attributed to Paul with the 'greet' female teacher statements. To chose one over another reflects a bias. It is my bias to chose the inclusive statments as this seems to me to reflect the teachings of Jesus (after all, I am a Christian, not a Paulian). Jesus calls us to love all and bring all into our community of love.

I point out cases like this and the church in Mississippi because of the quote from the Dalai Lama I posted earlier. Until we broaden our vision and are able to see all those around us as essentially the same as ourselves- despite surface differences- we will never have peace in our communities or in our world. This is a position brought home to me quite clearly from reading the Dalai Lama, Thich Nhat Hanh, and Gandhi. "To have peace, we must be peace." To be peace, we must open our arms and our hearts and begin to treat one another with love.

If we cannot love members of our own churches- because they are women, or biracial, or gay- then how will we ever be able to create love in our hearts for others in the world who are even more different from us- such as our Muslim brothers and sisters?

GP

No comments: