Friday, June 02, 2006

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.- 1967


"Don't let anybody make you think that God chose America as his divine, messianic force to be a sort of policeman of the whole world. God has a way of standing before the nations with judgment, and it seems that I can hear God saying to America, 'You're too arrogant, and if you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power, and I will place it in the hands of a nation that doesn't even know my name. Be still and know that I am God.'"


King said this in 1967 regarding the war in Vietnam, but it seems as if he could have said it yesterday.

Abraham Lincoln once said, in reference to a statement that someone believed that God was on the Union side, (and I'm paraphrasing) "The question is not whether God is on our side, which we can never know, but whether we are on God's side."

The vast majority of Americans would say they are Christians and believe in God. We must search our souls. Are we on God's side?

GP

No comments: