Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Flunking Geography and Morality

The Associated Press reports today that six in ten 18-24 year olds cannot find Iraq on a map. 2 thoughts:
  • This is ignorance against self-interest. 18-24 year olds are the people most likely to be sent to Iraq.
  • This sort of ignorance strikes me as immoral. As I walked to work today, I approached my school to find its flag at half-mast, recognizing a soldier killed in the fighting in Iraq. Whether you think the war right or wrong- and I think it absolutely wrong in the case of Iraq- don't we owe it to the soldiers, ourselves, and our country to at least know where the war is? How else can we have an intelligent debate on the merits of the conflict and our involvement?

Guess what we'll be doing in my classes the rest of the day? Looking at maps.

GP

No comments: