Thursday, November 02, 2006

David Gergen

On Hardball w/ Chris Matthews on MSNBC, David Gergen said something very powerful, considering the source. Gergen is a long time adviser to Presidents, mostly republican. He is a political realist rather than an ideologue. I don't have a transcript or video of his statement- although if I get either I will amend this post- but he said the following:

The real question is whether this [the war in Iraq] is winnable. I don't know for sure, but I think we may have passed that point.

Past the point of being winnable? If so, the question for the administration and for every candidate for national office next Tuesday is- why stay? Why not a planned, organized, expeditious withdrawl?

If we cannot win, then we should not put troops in harms way.

The proper moral choice is to set pride aside, admit a grave mistake was made, and end the misadventure in Iraq.

GP

No comments: